Monday 22 October 2012

Video Subbing [Manzai]: PUNK BOO BOO



Hey all, I've subtitled two short videos of the manzai duo, Punk Boo Boo (Sato Tetsuo, Kurose Jun).
These guys are a very highly respected pair, and despite their successes, are not very famous compared to some other comedians.
They were the 2009 champions of the M-1 Grand Prix, a now defunct competition to decide the best young manzai group. They then won the competition that replaced M-1, called THE MANZAI. So there's no denying their skill. Other groups that have won the M-1 include Tutorial and Black Mayonnaise, who enjoyed great success with TV appearances etc after their victory. However, Punk Boo Boo went relatively unnoticed for some reason.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the two vids that I've subbed here.

GET FROM MEDIAFIRE
VIDEO 1
VIDEO 2


Punk Boo Boo- Pet Dog by juxtapose31
Punk Boo Boo - Impersonations & Goodbye Laughing by juxtapose31

TRANSLATION NOTES


CHAGE

Is a singer from the singing group "CHAGE and ASKA". They were immensley popular in the 1980's and early 90's, and mainly known for hits such as "Yah Yah Yah" and "Say Yes". You can probably guess which guy Chage is.

TOTORO

Is the character from Studio Ghibli anime, "My Neighbour Totoro". I was under the impression that people thought he was cute but I suppose not. Well he (or she?) might be ugly in real life though.

DRAGON QUEST


This is an extremely popular RPG video game series, originally being developed for the Famicon system in the 80's. You may be able to claim that this is the game that made RPG's popular and sparked Japan's obsession with them. I'm personally a big fan of the series (especially III) so found the impersonation of the conversation hilarious...

MAYONNAISE
Sure everyone knows mayonnaise  (well most people...) so why am I explaining this? Because the mayonnaise containers outside Japan are usually class jars. In Japan, they are typically plastic bottles like this picture. And they really make that noise when they're almost empty.


ICHIGO DAIFUKU


Is a strawberry flavoured daifuku (rice cake  with red bean paste inside). It also usually has a strawberry on top of it.


MARIMO

I just translated this as "Moss Ball", because that's what it is. There are massive colonies of this plant in Hokkaido, the northern island of Japan. Check wiki









7 comments:

  1. Oh man, ichigo daifuku, nham.
    I can only buy those once a year, but I make sure I buy a lot.

    Thanks for the sub man, always great to see other comedian's work. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know marimo from one piece :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. These guys are good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL the second one really made me laugh. thanks for subbing! :DD

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was great! I'd love to see more of these guys.

    ReplyDelete